Detox is a process which your body uses to flush out toxins. Toxins are harmful waste products accumulate in the body due to unhealthy food and drinking habits.
Toxins include antibiotics, cigarette smoke, chemicals from food packaging, pesticides and hormones in food, food additives, household cleaners, drugs, detergents, heavy metals, and pollution.
Primarily detox was used for drug/alcohol treatment. However, you can use detox as a temporary diet plan that, besides promoting excretion of body toxins, it also helps with weight loss.
The concept of detox diet
There are many ways to describe a detox diet. But in general, it follows the same unique concept i.e.:
- The key to successful detoxification is – Hydration.
- Foods rich in nutrients, vitamins, and antioxidants prove to be essential for detoxification and consume heartily in a detox diet.
- There should be limited consumption of chemicals. Instead, maximize the consumption of organic food.
- Your eating allowances are formulated by the particular type of detox diet you are following. Some include only juices and liquids, some allow few fruits or vegetables or both, while a few include a wide variety of foods.
- Go for fiber-abundant foods and drink as much water as you can. It increases bowel movements and urination to excrete toxins.
Foods to avoid in detox diet
- Red meat, turkey, chicken, other meat products like burgers, sausages, and pate
- Milk, cream, eggs, cheese,
- Margarine, Mayonnaise Butter
- Foods that contain wheat such as bread, cereals, croissants, biscuits, cakes, pastry, pies, quiche, battered foods etc.
- Starch and Refined Carbs
- Fried, Crisp and savory snacks like salted nuts
- Sweets, Chocolates, jam, Ice-cream, and sugar
- Processed foods, ready-made meals, and sauces
- Soy Products
- Tea and coffee
- Pickles, Ready-made salad dressings
- Squashes and Fizzy drinks including diet versions also
Detox and weight loss
Detox not only eliminates harmful toxins from our body but, it proves beneficial for weight loss by breaking your unhealthy eating habits.
Most detox diet plans are a short 3-21 days. They restricts the consumption of calories and at the same time increases the consumption of fruits and vegetables that nourish the body.
Due to the healthy attributes of a detox diet, it increases body-metabolism, resulting in effective weight loss.
When done correctly, detoxification is the best thing to prevent health issues and to lose weight.
Weight loss from detox is an added bonus. When you eradicate toxins from your body, the stored fat also get eliminated.
According to Dr. Christine Gerbstadt, a registered dietitian and author of “The Doctor’s Detox Diet: The Ultimate Weight Loss Prescription” said, “I think the best detox is a natural, whole foods diet. It supports your liver and colon, improves your metabolism, and helps you lose weight without taking it to extremes that could lead to nutritional deficiencies or fluid imbalances.”
Benefits of detox diet
Detox is loaded with amazing benefits if it’s done correctly. These benefits are:
1. Uplift your energy
By abandoning harmful toxins and increase the intake of fresh fruits and vegetables, you will feel the natural energy boost. Studies show that people sustain more energy while on a detox diet.
2. Aids in weight loss
It is well known that a detox diet helps in short-term quick weight loss. But the real objective is to establish long-term healthy-eating habits to get rid of unhealthy body fat permanently. It will be more beneficial if you use your new energy to be more active.
3. Boost your immune system
When the obstacle of toxins is eliminated, your body organs become free to perform like they should. Your body will absorb more nutrients more efficiently and this will provide a boost to your immune system.
4. Curb cravings and overeating
Cravings are caused due to hormonal imbalances. When you eat healthy and nutritious foods, your body will less likely to experience hormonal imbalances and your cravings for unhealthy food will gradually decrease.
5. Control Stress
At the time of stress, the stress hormone, Cortisol, is released. When the cortisol’s level is higher than normal for a longer duration, then many health issues arises, which includes a decrease in liver function. Detox diet regulates blood sugar level, and therefore hormonally manage cortisol’s level in the blood.
A detox diet is an ultimate way for natural and effective weight loss. But it should be done in a correct way. Instead of viewing it as a temporary solution, look for a wider aspect of incorporating healthy eating habits for long-term weight loss. It will enhance your health and lifestyle.